Washing reusable bags and totes may seem like a simple task, but the truth is that you have to do it just right to keep your items clean- you don’t want any residue left over from the fabric softener or detergent. The first thing you need to remember when washing reusable bags is that they will probably contain things like juice or coffee from the previous trips you made with them, so you should wash them as soon as possible for easy and efficient cleaning.
Reusable bags are becoming more and more widely used as grocery stores begin to sell them. Consumers love them because they are better for the environment, but sometimes they can get dirty and need cleaning to remain presentable. This blog post will tell you how to clean wegmans reusable bags of any dirt or stains.
Table of Contents
Rinse your Green Bags with hot water
- Fill a sink or tub with warm water and a few drops of mild dish soap. Place your bags in the sink and let them soak for a few minutes.
- Remove the bags from the sink and rinse them with warm water from your faucet. Wipe off any soap residue with a damp cloth or sponge, then hang them to dry on a rack or clothesline.
Remove any food particles that are still attached to the green bags
- Remove any food particles that are still attached to the Green Bags.
- Wash the bags in warm water with a mild detergent and rinse them thoroughly.
- To help repel stains, wipe each bag with a thin layer of vegetable oil or olive oil, using a clean cloth or paper towel. Then let the bags sit overnight to absorb the oil before drying them.
- To keep your Green Bags looking their best, wash them after every use. And if you’re looking for an easy way to keep your reusable bags organized, check out our Reusable Bag Organizer.
Scrub the inside with a sponge or rag
Cleaning reusable shopping bags is easy. Just rinse them out with warm water and dish soap, scrub the inside with a sponge or rag, and then air dry. If you have a small stain, try rubbing it out with baking soda before rinsing and drying.
- If the bag has gotten dirty from handling raw meat or other foods, run it through the washing machine on a cold, gentle cycle with an extra rinse cycle and one cup of white vinegar for each load.
- Never put your reusable bag in the microwave. Microwaves heat up food quickly from the outside in; when you put your bag in the microwave, it can get so hot that it burns or melts on contact. You should also not put your reusable bags in the dishwasher; they could melt or warp under high heat conditions.
- If your bag gets dirty but isn’t too stained to use, just wipe it down with warm water and dish soap; don’t scrub too hard because this could damage the material and make stains worse! Then rinse well, air dry (if possible), and continue using as normal
Wash your Green Bags in the washing machine with a mild detergent
- If you’ve been using your GreenBag for a while, it might be time to clean it out. It’s easy to wash your Green Bags in the washing machine — just make sure to use cold water and a mild detergent.
- Fill the bag with hot water before putting it in the washer. Then add some soap or detergent and run through a normal cycle (no need to add fabric softener).
- When you’re done, hang your bags up to dry. Letting them air dry will ensure they last longer and don’t grow mold or mildew.
Dry your Green Bags in the dryer on a heat setting of medium or lower
- Cleaning your Wegmans reusable bags is easy. To clean the inside, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth or sponge, and then allow it to air dry.
- Dry your Green Bags in the dryer on a heat setting of medium or lower.
- You can also wash them in the washing machine. For best results, wash them by themselves in cold water on a gentle cycle with no detergent, bleach or softeners. Tumble dry them in your dryer on low heat with no softener sheet.
Store your Green Bags in a cool, dry place until you are ready to use them again
To clean your reusable bags:
- Fill your sink or bathtub with warm water and add 2-3 capfuls of mild liquid soap (or an oxygen bleach like RioBluand a small amount of baking soda (optional).
- Soak the bag for 10-15 minutes, then scrub with a brush or sponge if needed. Rinse thoroughly. Repeat if necessary.
- Air dry completely before storing away in a cool dry place to prevent mildew from forming on the bag’s interior.
In the washing machine
- The best way to clean Wegmans reusable bags is by washing them in the washing machine. The bags are made from high-quality materials that will not be damaged or harmed by normal washing.
- We recommend washing in cold water, as hot water can damage the bag’s lining.
- Wash with like colors and use a gentle detergent.
- After washing, hang dry or tumble dry on low heat for about 20 minutes.
The mere fact that reusable bags are being used is a huge step forward from where we were ten years ago. Yes, reusable grocery bags are still a hot topic, especially since plastic bags were banned in two major cities, which means there will be cities looking for alternative options. Some of them will probably include reusable grocery bags from Wegmans. This makes it important to handle these bags with care and wash them properly so they last as long as possible.